The educational program SéminArts is an introduction to collecting contemporary art offered in collaboration with the Claudine and Stephen Bronfman Family Foundation since September 2010. In an atmosphere that encourages discussion and the sharing of ideas, each session of the SéminArts series introduces participants to various players in the art world, including artists, private collectors, corporate collectors, dealers, exhibition curators and museum curators. The series includes visits to various locations to discover contemporary works of art.
6 evening sessions (4 in person, 2 online) on Wednesday: September 30, October 14 and 28, November 11 and 25, December 9, 2020
For the in person meetings, in order to respect the social distancing rules in place, two groups of eight people will participate alternately in the two activities offered.
For online sessions, an interactive group videoconference will follow an exclusive viewing.
Session 1: The museum collection
What does the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal collect?
September 30, 2020, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., in person
– Presentation of the SéminArts series and of the MAC collection
– Discovery of works from the collection in the company of a mediator
Session 2: The corporate collection
How and why does a company collect contemporary works of art?
October 14, 2020, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., online
– Virtual corporate collection tour
– Videoconference with a corporate collection manager or curator
Session 3: The artist’s studio
What is the career path of a contemporary artist?
October 28, 2020, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., in person
– Visit of two studios and viewing of works-in-progress
– Meeting with two contemporary artists
Session 4: The art gallery
What is the relationship between gallerist, collector and artist?
November 11, 2020, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., in person
– Meeting with two gallery owners
– Visit of two galleries and discovery of the works of artists they represent
Session 5: The private collection
How and why do you become a collector of contemporary art?
November 25, 2020, 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., online
– Virtual private collector tour
– Videoconference with a passionate private collector
Session 6: Contemporary Art
What is contemporary art?
December 9, 2020, 7 p.m. to 9 p.m., in person
Meeting with a MAC curator
Viewing of a selection of recent contemporary works of art in the ongoing show
- Fees :
$225 (tax included)
15% off for MACarte holders
- Reservations :