Art+Feminism : Wikipedia Edit-a-thon March 17 2018
The Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal and Artexte information centre are joining together to highlight the work of artists and authors from groups that are underrepresented in Wikipedia, including women, people of colour and people from the LGBTQ+ community, with a Wikipedia Art+Feminism Wikipedia Edit-a-thon, will take place on March 17 2018 from 12:30 PM to 5PM.
Artexte’s collection includes documentation on visual arts from 1965 to the present with a particular emphasis on practices in Canada and in Québec. The collection includes many different types of publications that testify to the artistic practices in Canada and abroad as well as printed ephemera including posters, pamphlets, invitation cards, press clippings and visual documentation.
For the event, the Musée d’art contemporain de Montréal will share a series of documentation files from the collection of the museum’s médiathèque with the goal of providing access to the Wikipedia editors during the edit-a-thon. The documentation will include files on many flagship events presented at the museum on the work of women artists, as well as a selection of artist files from artists who have made major contributions to the field of contemporary art since the 1960’s.
In order to assist the editors with locating and using reliable information sources for their articles, files on artists and collectives who do not yet have Wikipedia pages, or whose pages need translation or requires updating will be provided.
Participants must create a Wikipedia account before the event.
Plan for the day :
- 12: 30pm – 1 :00pm: Initial training for people with no prior experience editing Wikipedia articles.
- 1 :00pm – 4 :00pm: Edit-a-thon with ongoing support and training offered by Artexte staff.
- 4 :00 – 5 :00 pm: Participatory discussion featuring Eunice Bélidor, Amber Berson and Nathalie
- The event is free and open to anyone
- Artexte is wheelchair accessible and has physically accessible restrooms
- Childcare service will be provided free of charge.
2, rue Sainte-Catherine Est, Suite 301,
QC H2X 1K4